If you read my blog or follow me on Facebook, you probably know by now that I am obsessed with Oreo truffles. So you can’t imagine my elation when I heard that Oreo was coming out with a Red Velvet limited edition for Valentine’s Day.
First off, let me say that I am typically not a huge Red Velvet fan. What I am a fan of, however, is CREAM CHEESE FROSTING. It just makes everything better. And it’s typically paired with my favorite type of cake – carrot cake – which just gives it even more points in my book.
So, why was I excited about Red Velvet Oreos if I don’t even like Red Velvet? Because the only thing going through my head was how delicious they would be in truffles, which are made of two simple ingredients – Oreos and cream cheese. So, an Oreo with cream cheese frosting inside is simply MADE for truffle goodness.
I also have a special place in my heart for anything Valentine’s Day related, since I am a Valentines baby after all. So, I made these truffles for myself as an early birthday gift… and then shared them with my closest friends and family to celebrate the season of love (and snow… but let’s forget about that part).
Despite the fact that Red Velvet is not my favorite flavor, these truffles may be my favorite that I have ever made. The cream cheese on cream cheese just took me to an other-worldly experience, in which the cookie played second fiddle. The white chocolate was (no pun intended) the icing on the cake – pairing beautifully with the Red Velvet and cream cheese frosting flavors. I used a mixture of white chocolate chips and red candy melts to make these especially festive for the holiday. If you can still find these Oreos in stores, I highly encourage you to buy them and make these before it’s too late! My full recipe is below the images. Enjoy!!!
- 1½ packages Red Velvet Oreos (limited edition Valentine's Day 2015 flavor)
- 1 8-oz package low fat cream cheese
- 1 bag white chocolate chips or your favorite color candy melts
- Use a food processor to crush Oreo cookies into a fine powder.
- Add crushed Oreos and cream cheese to a large bowl. Mix by hand until fully incorporated. Roll into balls and place on wax- or parchment-paper covered cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator or freezer to allow to harden.
- In a small bowl, melt white chocolate in the microwave on LOW heat. If chocolate is too thick, add a small amount of vegetable oil and stir together. DO NOT ADD WATER.
- Using a spoon, dunk each Oreo ball into white chocolate and swirl around until fully covered. Place back on wax paper to dry. When all truffles are completed, place back in refrigerator to cool/harden. Store in refrigerator.